Monday, August 6, 2007

Who am I?

A question I've been pondering lately. Well, all the time.

My passions: traveling, world cultures, film, writing, photography, poetry, glass blowing, poi, making things.

How can I turn my passions into a career? This is the question that has been forefront in my mind for the last couple of years.

I want to travel and make art as a career. Art doesn't pay much, so that must be on my time. But that's ok, because I love it. I can freelance travel articles while I travel, I can blow glass at my home base, I can spin poi anywhere, watch and critique films all over, freelance my travel photography, write poetry anywhere, make clothes at my home base. While I am based in Chicago, working a good job, I can pay off my loans, save money to travel with, and get some good co-op experience. One day, maybe I can start my own co-op in Portland and a hostel in another country. I could possibly work at airtreks from anywhere. not sure about that. eugenia was from new zealand...What I'd really like is to work hard for 6 months and travel hard for six months. I need a seasonal good-paying job....

Sometimes I kinda feel that I am selling out by going for this tech support job. but i would really like to travel debt free, and build up a savings. but what if i die in the next two years and i didn't get to travel anywhere else? i would be in the pursuit of my goals, but maybe there was a shortcut to my goals. i feel like this one is both realistic and is the best long-term option. i wish i could live more in the present. be broke and nomadic and wander. i still haven't figured out how to travel the world without any money. one day...


In other news, I am getting quite excited for my move to Chicago. I am planning out my room, trying to figure out where i'm going to put in my glass studio. April says it's too cold in the shed during the winter, although i seem to think my kiln and the torch will put off enough heat. and i can layer up. the bathroom is too tiny. i could rent out a studio for about 300 a month, and that would be cool, but an extra 300 dollar expense. but it would be cool...my own little space. i can put a hammock in there....it could be my funky little space....

1 comment:

-blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

Find-out through my novelty.

Check-out my insane, efficacious trilogy:

--> stores.lulu.com/fido <--

I'll see you in the Great Beyond, won't I?

-Samurai Shampoo