Thursday, July 12, 2007

Strengths and Weaknesses

We had a great talk today from Donna Ladd from the Jackson Free Press. She asked us to think about our strengths and weaknesses as writers. This is what I came up with:

Strengths:
Spelling, punctuation and grammar
Drafting and gathering information
Word choice and phrasing

Weaknesses:
Not paying enough attention to detail
Not setting the scenes that are essential to the story
Difficulty finding a focus
Trouble committing to an angle
I get started with gusto then plateau

So what Donna told us to do was to let go of our strengths and concentrate on developming our weaknesses. I really liked her talk, and I can't wait until after our discussion is over so I can put this advice into practice. She said a great way to practice is to write about your own experiences. Which I enjoy doing. Probably more than reporting, as I have found over the past month during this journalism fellowship. I enjoy critiques, especially art, film and culture essays. Okay, lunch break is over, more on this later.

No comments: