Saturday, July 28, 2007

You should always play Urban Manhunt drunk.

It took me a while to figure out a few kinks in the Qumbyawiki, but I DID IT. Finally. I feel like a wiki pro now :)

Megan and I played in an Urban Manhunt last night. It was...interesting. Fun, for sure, (given the whiskey and cocktails we consumed at the house). We had originally agreed that once we started the game, to run back to Haymarket, get some money, go to the liquor store, and sit in a corner of the game area and lazily drink the game away. But, as we approached the University of Chicago campus (not a very close walk back to the lovely Haymarket) that plan went down the drain. So we decided to actually play the game. I think the alcohol helped.

I think we may have been fairly useless. Well, Megan did bum rush the target twice. And got tackled, twice. I tackled two people on my own team. I was on defense, protecting the target (some benches surrounded by hedges) Megan was on offense, trying to tag the target. My team's goal was to protect the target and tag the offense.

After a good 40 minutes, all members of the offense were in jail except for Megan, and we all wait for the last standing member to try to make a jail break on her teammates. And then she comes wandering out of the darkness. She sees me and says, "I was thinking of finding your keys and going home."

What?" I ask. Find my keys?

"I put them in a bush in front of a building with some stairs," she explains. "I didn't want to lose them."

I look around at the University of Chicago campus and see nothing but large gothic buildings with ivy climbing up the sides, and stairs, stairs, stairs leading up to every one. I inwardly groan.

"You're going to kill me, huh?"

"Not if we find my keys." I tell Lydia and the rest of the people we have another adventure to contend with, and off we go.

We circle the campus for a bit, trying to find where we came in. I keep unsteadily bumping into Megan as we compare notes on how wonderfully geeky our teams were.

"My team had designated areas for guards and clap signals to let the rest know that someone was coming and from where," I laugh.

"My team kept going over strategy and then asking me what I thought," she says. "I told them I didn't fucking care."

I'm glad we were drunk.

Finally, we find where we came in, and Megan says she can find the building in relation to the target, and as we catch sight of the target Megan says, "I think that's it," pointing to a building (with stairs) and big bushes on either side. We approach, she sits on the curb and puts her right hand into the bush. I can totally see her sitting her killing time while the rest of us ran around in the dark, and her getting the bright idea to hide the keys outside, under a bush, in front of a building with stairs so she can find it again. I hear a jingle and she pulls out a roll of black duct tape. Then she fishes out my keys. I smile and nod in relief as we head home for Haymarket.

No comments: